Review of the draft Nature Futures Framework now live!
- Further work on scenarios and models (2nd work programme)
Dear IPBES members, observers and other interested stakeholders,
With reference to notification EM/2021/20 (10 August 2021), I am pleased to announce the start of the external review of the draft nature futures framework and methodological guidance. The external review is open from 6 September 2021 to 31 October 2021.
This external review is addressed to Governments and interested and qualified experts, including scientists, decision makers, practitioners and other knowledge holders. To ensure the highest scientific quality and policy relevance of the draft nature futures framework and methodological guidance, the Multidisciplinary Expert Panel is seeking the widest-possible participation from experts from all relevant disciplines and backgrounds. Those who participated in past consultations, workshops and applications of the draft nature futures framework are particularly invited to send comments.
If you would like to participate as an expert reviewer in this external review, please follow these steps:
- Register as a user of the IPBES website (https://ipbes.net/user/register) if you have not already done so;
- Register as an expert reviewer for the draft nature futures framework and methodological guidance at https://ipbes.net/registration/nature-futures-framework (this will only work when logged in first as an IPBES website user).
Once registered, you will immediately receive an email providing confidential access to the material and will be requested to submit your comments in English using a template available on the same webpage.
As part of this review, IPBES will organise the following online meetings:
- An online dialogue workshop for IPBES national focal points and other Government representatives on 4 October 2021. To accommodate for different time zones, participants may choose to attend one of the following sessions:
- Monday 4 October 2021: 09:00-11:00 CEST (with English- Chinese, Russian and Arabic interpretation)
- Monday 4 October 2021: 16:00-18:00 CEST (with English- French and Spanish interpretation)
The link where national focal points can register a delegation will be made available to them after successful registration as a reviewer on https://ipbes.net/registration/nature-futures-framework.
An online dialogue workshop open to all stakeholders will be organised on 6 October 2021. To accommodate for different time zones, participants can participate in one of the following sessions:
- Wednesday 6 October 2021: 6:00-8:00 CEST (with English- Russian and Chinese interpretation)
- Wednesday 6 October 2021: 13:00-15:00 CEST (with English- French and Arabic interpretation)
- Wednesday 6 October 2021: 18:00-20:00 CEST (with English-Spanish interpretation)
All interested experts, in particular those from the wider scientific community, including experts on narrative approaches from the humanities and social sciences are invited to participate. The meeting registration link will be made available after a successful registration as a reviewer on https://ipbes.net/registration/nature-futures-framework.
- An online indigenous and local knowledge dialogue workshop will be held between 28 and 30 September and on 19 October 2021, in the context of the implementation of the IPBES approach to recognizing and working with indigenous and local knowledge adopted by the IPBES Plenary in decision IPBES-5/1.
Please contact the technical support unit on scenarios and models at [email protected] for questions on the nature futures framework and the technical support unit on capacity-building at [email protected] for technical questions on the dialogue meeting for national focal points and other Government representatives, as well as the online stakeholder workshop.
Thank you again for your participation and assistance in strengthening the usefulness of the nature futures framework through this external review.
Dr Anne Larigauderie | Executive Secretary
Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)