Vice-Chair from African States
Eastern European States
Latin American and Caribbean States
Chair of IPBES
Bureau member from Latin American and Caribbean States
Western European and other States
Mandate and Procedures
The Mandate of the Bureau is set out in the functions, operating principles and institutional arrangements of IPBES as contained in the appendix to the resolution establishing IPBES (appendix I to annex I to document UNEP/IPBES.MI/2/9), it includes:
- Addressing requests related to IPBES’ programme of work and products that require attention by IPBES between sessions of the Plenary;
- Overseeing communication and outreach activities;
- Reviewing progress in the implementation of decisions of the Plenary, if so directed by the Plenary;
- Monitoring the secretariat’s performance;
- Organizing and helping to conduct the sessions of the Plenary;
- Reviewing the observance of IPBES’ rules and procedures;
- Reviewing the management of resources and observance of financial rules and reporting thereon to the Plenary;
- Advising the Plenary on coordination between IPBES and other relevant institutions;
- Identifying donors and developing partnership arrangements for the implementation of IPBES’ activities.
The Plenary also assigned to the Bureau various roles in the process of preparing IPBES deliverables, as set out in the Procedures for the preparation of Platform deliverables (annex I to decision IPBES-3/3 and decision IPBES-4/3).
The rules for the operation and election of members of the Bureau are contained in section VII of the Rules of procedure for sessions of the Plenary of IPBES.