Second external review of the IPBES nexus assessment (second draft of the chapters and first draft of the summary for policymakers) now live!
- Nexus assessment
Dear IPBES members, observers and other interested stakeholders,
With reference to notification EM/2023/34 (20 September 2023), I am pleased to announce the start of the second external review of the thematic assessment of the interlinkages among biodiversity, water, food and health (nexus assessment), which is open from 20 November 2023 to 14 January 2024 (8 weeks).
The second external review, which focuses on the second draft of the chapters and the first draft of the summary for policymakers of the assessment, is one of the most important phases in the IPBES assessment process. The second external review is addressed to Governments and interested and qualified experts, including scientists, decision makers, practitioners and other knowledge holders. To ensure the highest scientific quality and policy relevance of the assessment, the Multidisciplinary Expert Panel is seeking peer review from the widest-possible participation of experts from all relevant disciplines and backgrounds. To ensure consistency with and continuity from the first external review, those who participated in the first review are particularly invited to send comments.
If you would like to participate as an expert reviewer in this external review, please follow these steps:
- Register as a user of the IPBES website (https://ipbes.net/user/register) if you have not already done so;
- Register to review the draft assessment at https://www.ipbes.net/registration/nexus/sod;
- Once registered, you will receive an email providing confidential access to the draft chapters, summary for policymakers, and glossary of the assessment;
- Comments must be submitted in English using the Excel comment template available on the same webpage as the draft documents;
- Comments must be submitted electronically via the IPBES website; when you are ready to submit your comments, please upload your completed Excel template no later than 14 January 2024 using the “Add Review” button on the same page as the draft documents (you must be logged in to upload your template);
- If you encounter any technical issues uploading your comments template, please contact [email protected].
Two online dialogues with stakeholders, including practitioners, in the context of the second external review of the assessment, are scheduled during the review period:
- 18 December 2023: 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. CET
- 18 December 2023: 6-8 p.m. CET
National focal points are welcome to attend the dialogues. Please note that you need to register as a reviewer to participate in the dialogues (step 2 above). The dialogue registration link will be made available by email after a successful registration as a reviewer. Please contact the technical support unit on capacity-building for technical questions regarding the online dialogues ([email protected]).
The Plenary will be invited to consider the summary for policymaker of the nexus assessment for approval and their chapters for acceptance at IPBES 11, currently planned for December 2024.
I thank you for your continued support to IPBES.
Dr Anne Larigauderie | Executive Secretary
Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)