|Project title||Capacity Building for Viet Nam’s National Wetland Ecosystem Assessment|
|Implementing Institutions||Biodiversity Conservation Agency (BCA) of the Ministry of the Environment (MoNRE)|
|Abstract||This project seeks to build capacity for the conduction of Viet Nam’s National Wetland Ecosystem Assessment. In particular, it aims at building capacity on identifying, mapping and assessing wetland ecosystems and their biophysical state across Vietnam, assessing the economic values of the services they offer and integrating these values into policy and decision making.The project will contribute to achieving the sustainable management and use of ecosystem products and services, promote human well-being and help sustain globally and nationally significant wetland ecosystems.|
|Project Description||The project is divided into 4 components:
1- comprises the identification, mapping and biophysical assessment of wetland ecosystems across Vietnam. The National Biodiversity Database System (NBDS) will serve as a priority data source. NBDS, however, is lacking much wetland ecosystem-relevant information.The collection of relevant data will not only contribute to achieving the objectives of project, but also facilitating the development and completion of the NBDS.
2- aims at building capacity on assessing the economic values of the services wetland ecosystems across Viet Nam, providing stakeholders with feasible guidelines for valuing these services and integrating them into policy and decision making and training staff in carrying out wetland ecosystems assessments at one selected pilot site. The challenge here will be to develop a sound methodological framework for the monetary valuation of wetland ecosystem services (WESS). The developed methodology and the guidelines for the valuation of WESS will be applied at one selected wetland pilot site. The training of the competent staff will help enhance human resources and building up institutional capacities of national and provincial authorities.
3- the integration of the economic values of WESS into policy and decision making will be facilitated. Part of this task will be training of competent stakeholders in valuing and integrating WESS into policy and decision making.
4- focuses on the participation of relevant stakeholders in the identification and assessment process of wetlandand their services.
|Project Objectives and expected Achievables||OBJECTIVES
The project is aimed at achieving the sustainable management and use of wetland ecosystem products and services, promoting human well-being and helping sustain globally and nationally significant wetland ecosystems. It will contribute to achieving the objectives of the GEF and UNDP-funded project “Conservation of Critical Wetland Protected Areas and Linked Landscapes” and help further expand the National Biodiversity Database System (NBDS) which was launched in January 2015.
1. Identification, mapping and assessment of wetland ecosystems across Viet Nam
2. Development of a scientifically sound and accepted methodology to identify and assess wetland ecosystems in Viet Nam
3. Developing criteria for the classification of wetland ecosystems in Viet Nam and adoption of a unified nationally applied Wetland Classification System
4. Development of criteria for the valuation of WESS and adoption of corresponding guidelines for their application of competent authorities
5. Introduction of an obligatory weighing of WESS-values with other concerns within existing legal documents
6. Enhanced capacity of national and provincial authorities to identify, map and assess wetland ecosystems
7. Enhanced capacity of national and provincial authorities to valuate WESS and integrate them into policy and decision making
8. Development of an effective stakeholder mechanism and its integration into the current policy and legislative framework
9. Enhanced capacity to access data, information and knowledge through participatory engagement with analyses, demonstration sites, policy development and communications
10. Enhanced capacity to participate effectively in implementing the IPBES work programme through participatory development of assessments, demonstration sites and policy options
11. Enhanced capacity to locate and mobilize financial and technical resources through engagement with the project’s IPBES process, partners and donors
|Seeking Resources for:||Project implementation|
|Type of Resources/Support needed:||Financial|
Capacity Building for Viet Nam’s National Wetland Ecosystem Assessment
Name of organisation:
Projects and activities of interest to IPBES and partners