Multidisciplinary Expert Panel
Mandate and Procedures
The Mandate of the Multidisciplinary Expert Panel is set out in the functions, operating principles and institutional arrangements of IPBES as contained in the appendix to the resolution establishing IPBES (appendix I to annex I to document UNEP/IPBES.MI/2/9), it includes:
- Providing advice to the Plenary on scientific and technical aspects of IPBES’ programme of work;
- Providing advice and assistance on technical and/or scientific communication matters;
- Managing IPBES’ peer-review process to ensure the highest levels of scientific quality, independence and credibility for all products delivered by IPBES at all stages of the process;
- Engaging the scientific community and other knowledge holders with the work programme, taking into account the need for different disciplines and types of knowledge, gender balance, and effective contribution and participation by experts from developing countries;
- Assuring scientific and technical coordination among structures set up under IPBES and facilitating coordination between IPBES and other related processes to build upon existing efforts;
- Exploring ways and means to bring different knowledge systems, including indigenous knowledge systems, into the science-policy interface.
The Plenary also assigned to the MEP various roles in the process of preparing IPBES deliverables, as set out in the Procedures for the preparation of Platform deliverables (annex I to decision IPBES-3/3 and decision IPBES-4/3). The rules for the operation and election of members of the MEP are contained in section VIII of the Rules of procedure for sessions of the Plenary of IPBES.
- Why is the role of the MEP so important in IPBES? https://youtu.be/45Q0c4QDltcj
- How has the MEP done so far? https://youtu.be/Xw-M2157QcU
- Key challenges for the MEP in the next IPBES work programme https://youtu.be/Xw-M2157QcU
- The vision of the co-chairs for the MEP https://youtu.be/1_gdLEHo6Oc
- A message from the MEP to the wider IPBES community https://youtu.be/iIxBz1a974g