Collaborative Supporters (pilot page/under development)
IPBES is financed through voluntary contributions to its trust fund and generous contributions from its Members have ensured its operation since its inception. The status of financial contributions is reported to the Plenary of IPBES at each of its sessions.
In addition, the work of IPBES is supported in many other ways. For example:
- Support to the organization of workshops for IPBES fellows, for meetings of assessment authors, for dialogue workshops to support the implementation of the IPBES approach to recognizing and working with indigenous and local knowledge, or to meetings to advance the work of IPBES on scenarios and models of biodiversity and ecosystem services;
- The organization of events or the preparation of information materials to support the uptake of IPBES products at the national and regional level, in particular completed IPBES assessments and the preliminary guide on multiple conceptualizations of values;
- Amplification of IPBES communications and outreach activities, especially through print and broadcast media and social media channels, as well as through support to IPBES branding, public relations and audio-visual activities;
- Support to or organization of workshops and activities to build the capacity of governments and stakeholders to engage in the work of IPBES, for example the review of IPBES assessments, the undertaking of national and (sub)regional assessments of biodiversity and ecosystem services and the establishment of national and (sub)regional platforms or networks;
- The provision of information and data for indicators used in IPBES assessments;
- The provision of information about the work of IPBES as part of activities and events.
Such support was provided to IPBES during its first work programme by (please note: examples only; this page is being piloted and the list is not comprehensive):
- Several members of IPBES, including: Australia, Brazil, Cameroon, China, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Islamic Republic of Iran, Japan, Kenya, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, the Republic of Korea, South Africa, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the United States of America;
- The four UN partners of IPBES;
- Organizations that concluded a memorandum of understanding with the secretariat of IPBES as strategic partners, including Future Earth, the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF), the Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI), and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN);
- Several national and regional platforms and networks as well as other organizations and institutions. Examples of such collaborative supporters of IPBES include (please note: examples only; this page is being piloted and the list is not comprehensive):
The inclusion in the list of “collaborative supporters of IPBES” does not constitute any official endorsement the listed organizations, institutions or networks or their activities and products or their officials by IPBES or the United Nations Environment Programme